Saturday, January 16, 2010

Everything New


So, after a long...long..time of not coming to this page, (mainly in hopes of setting up a new and fancier blog) I decided, while waiting to get that going I might as well blog here. I have been craving to write about everything I have been up to for the last seven months and it is time to finally lay it all out.

So the best way to tell everyone what I have been up to is through a bunch of long, run on sentence. Follow if you can!

Last May I graduated college (woo). Finished the semester off with my 'Four to Five Million' shelter dog project I wrote about prior to today. It was so much fun and it made me realize again the passion I have for photographing animals. So after a great exhibition of my thesis, a front page article in the Springfield Republican featuring my photo work, a video posted on the website of the work as well, and a great last semester, I said goodbye to my life in MA and move home to CT. My goal was to find a job with a magazine doing fashion photography (what was I thinking?!) and move straight from Amherst to NYC. Big fail. I searched and searched for a job and there was nothing. So back to my parents house it was. I began interning for a wonderful wedding photographer, Carlos Varela, (this is really where I learned how to be a good photographer) in NYC, but it was still a 2 hour commute 3 days a week. While home I started photographing my pets. Mickey, a mixed terrier, who I have had since I was 9, my two little mixed chihuahua rescues that inhabit my parents home and my two kitties quickly became the direction I was pointing my lens. Why it took me this long to figure it out, I don't know, but it hit me (with my parents help) that this was really my true calling. I decided to start up my own pet photography business. It happened quickly and once I got going I really go into it. I completely love what I am doing now and have started working really hard to get my name out there. So after 6 long, socially deprived months, I made it!! I have officially move to NYC. I got a job working at a Veterinary Hospital in the East Village and found a nice little place in Midtown. I have one roommate who is fantastic and super sweet and I can now work, in the meantime, on building my business up. So, this is the begining of my journey. A journey exploring my passion and absolute obsession and love of animals combined with my overwhelming desire to capture them in a creative and contemporary ways through my lens. I feel determined to make people smile and give my clients a photograph that speaks more as a special memory and moment rather than a stuffy staged portrait. (I refer to this as 'cat in the boot' photography!) I hope you follow along in my new and exciting chapter. Here is to 2010, a year of everything new: new friends, new pets, and new york! I hope we can enjoy it together!!

Rachel :)

No comments:

Post a Comment